Sunday, January 31, 2010

Just Smile and Jog

For those who enjoy their comfort zone a little too much (timid hand raise)-- a change in location can pose quite the roadblock to morning runs. Back in the States, I always packed a pair of running shorts when going away for a long weekend, but these always seemed to stay neatly folded until my return home.

So I knew it would be a while until I got comfortable enough to scope out a new running route in Italy. My skin is thin and I’ve always felt particularly vulnerable to the icy stares and seemingly permanent frowns of passersby in the streets of Europe. (see previous post) It doesn’t help that the fitness culture in Europe is different from the one in the States. Back home, it’s kind of polarized between the couch potatoes and the people who live at the gym. Here, it seems most people stay fit by walking and eating in moderation. Unless you are a professional athlete, sports here (from what I can tell) are more for hobbies than for building up athletic prowess. (Consider the Sunday afternoon soccer—or rather, football—game among buddies). These may be unfair generalizations—I know lots of people who exercise regularly without turning to bodybuilding and marathon running—but it is something I’ve noticed nevertheless.

I was pleasantly surprised Saturday morning around 7 a.m. when I stepped out to see plenty of people with their running gear on. Not a single one was female, though, and I was one of only two who had left their pants at home (SHORTS! we were in SHORTS!). I took pride in the fact that I was going at least as fast as everyone else (which isn’t saying much, seeing as I don’t really pass for a runner back home). My new route took me past a magnificent overlook of the bay—sure beats the scenery from my old runs at the Jacksonville apartment complex, where it was all pavement and cookie-cutter buildings.

I still got the looks. Some from the tired old ladies waiting for the bus, some from the local grocer unloading his produce truck, some from the maintenance men downing coffee and pastries. One of the men took one look at my exposed red legs and muffled from within his down coat and knit cap, “Ma-mma mia! Non fa freddo?!” Well, no, sir, it’s probably 55 degrees out and back where I come from, real runners pretty much always wear shorts!

Remembering my mom’s words from our last phone conversation (apparently as a young newlywed, I have too much happiness to share to get bogged down with everyone’s scowling faces) I flashed a smile at all the onlookers. Some were unmoved and continued to stare, but a few softened and reciprocated. That was really refreshing. As for the ice kings and queens, I’d like to think they were just exhibiting their insecurities. :)

So when you come visit us, remember you can leave your super-friendliness at home, but it’s OK to share a smile with whoever’s willing. And don’t forget your running shoes. No matter your fitness level, you’ll impress everyone in the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment