Thursday, April 15, 2010

Capri, c'est fini

If you are wondering what the title of this post is all about, it’s also the title of a popular French song from the 60s. Even though I’ve heard lots of people sing it in jest, its lyrics are actually quite pained (scroll down for the English):



Nous n'irons plus jamais
Où tu m'as dit je t’aime
Nous n'irons plus jamais
Tu viens de décider
Nous n'irons plus jamais
Ce soir c'est plus la peine
Nous n'irons plus jamais
Comme les autres années

Capri c'est fini
Et dire que c'était la ville
De mon premier amour
Capri c'est fini
Je ne crois pas
Que j'y retournerai un jour

Parfois je voudrais
Bien te dire recommençons
Mais je perds le courage
Sachant que tu diras non
Capri c'est fini
Et dire que c'était la ville
De mon premier amour...


We will never go back
where you told me, “I love you”
We will never go back
You’ve just decided
We will never go back
Tonight it’s no longer worth it
We will never go back
Like the other years

Capri, it’s finished!
And to think that was the city
Of my first love
Capri, it’s finished!
I don’t think
I will ever go back

Sometimes I would like
To tell you, "Let's start over"
But I lose the courage
Knowing you will say no

Capri, it’s finished!
And to think that was the city
Of my first love
Capri, it’s finished!
I don’t think
I will ever go back...

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Anyway, this post has nothing to do with heartbreak, and everything to do with our trip last Saturday to Capri. (I’m pretty sure if I told my family back in France that we were there, at least half of them would break out into this song. It’s hard to resist!) Despite its dreamy island beauty, Capri is another one of those places I’d hate to see in high tourist season.



This is the Piazzetta, which my guidebook describes as “the place to ‘see and be seen.’” Honestly, most of the island seems this way—the same guidebook dubs Capri “the playground of the rich.” Indeed, all the shops in the city center are high-end boutiques: Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Prada, etc. Can you guess what kind of color schemes were in the windows?





Really makes you reexamine how powerful fashion is. I guess a touch of purple can be nice, but too much and you could end up looking like an overdressed grape!

Shops aside, the island really does boast one gorgeous piece of land: rugged crags in strikingly blue water. Picturesque hillsides of colorful vegetation and houses. Quaint, carless alleyways. Steep hiking trails with rewarding views along the way. Handpainted tiles for signage. Lively marinas and pebbly beaches. Happy couples--for whom Capri is not over!--kissing in quiet nooks. Relaxed tourists cooling off with a gelato or lemonade. No trash on the ground…!

Unlike the unfortunate singer of Capri, c’est fini, we went with the idea that we would return again soon. In light of the intense tourism we had just done in Florence and Rome, we did not really heed the guidebook and just wandered around at our own pace. Next time, I would really like to see the infamous Blue Grotto, a cave in which you’ll see the most dazzlingly blue water. I’ll also return with appropriate footwear and a map, so we can take advantage of the many hiking opportunities.

Here are some of our favorite moments of the day:

Debarking and getting some fresh air at the Marina Grande—





Petting cats all over the island (OK, maybe that was more Alan’s thing)—





Finding the pretty little garden overlooking the city and the deep blue of the sea—







Enjoying a sunny Saturday with my honey. Capri, ce n’est pas fini: we will definitely go back! (at the tail end of the season…)

1 comment:

  1. how wonderful it was ! Haha lorsque tu as parlé de ta famille francaise je voyais bien tonton pierrot faire une blague et papa chanter cette chanson. C' est drôleque tu l'as connaisse :)
    En tout cas merveilleux paysages.
    Bisous a vous deux !

    ReplyDelete