September proved to be quite the whirlwind. I am happy to report that, almost one year into our Neapolitan adventure, life has done a 180 and I have finally found my niche here.
Unfortunately, with all the excitement, I have fallen significantly behind in my correspondence and blog-writing. I am working on reversing that trend, but October has been--and will continue to be--about ten times busier than September. That's a good thing, especially when I think back to the first lonely months in our apartment.
But being busier also means I need to make time for catching up with family and friends. To all those who have taken time out of their busy schedule to write or call or leave a comment, I am profoundly grateful. You helped fill a void during those first few months of transition, where everything and everyone was new and unfamiliar.
Naples is home now. (Yes, even on those days when some jerk cuts us off and we dream of moving back to a place where traffic patterns make sense). So now it's my turn to take the time to tell you that, despite--or because of!--the excitement here, I miss you and am thinking of you.
Who's the culprit behind my going from 0 to 60? For one, my wonderful new friends, who are constantly getting me out of my cocoon of an apartment and into cafes, pizzerias, markets, shops, parks, churches, museums, and little alleyways I didn't know about before.
Culprit #2 came into my life a few weeks ago: I have a job again! It took a few months of getting acclimated to my new surroundings, then wading through an incredibly paper-heavy application process, then waiting for the 2010-2011 school year to begin...but I am finally working in schools again. I decided to substitute teach so I could keep my schedule flexible for travel and visitors. I may expound in future posts, but for now I will just say that a substitute's job is never, ever boring!
Culprit #3 is travel: we've just returned from a 13-day whirlwind tour of the UK, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We had so much fun that upon our return, we felt we needed a vacation from touring around! Our hosts for much of the trip were dear Londoner friends Faye and Christian, without whose hospitality such a long holiday--as the Brits say--would not have been possible. (Remember those Flying Dinars? Pounds disappear even faster!)
The festivities started the very first day. I had planned a girly day, but by the end of it I think all members of the party were happy to partake. We started with a quick ride through the city and ended up in the cozy lobby of a chic London hotel. There Alan and I experienced our very first High Tea--a delight! Unfortunately, most of my pictures turned out blurry, but I managed to snap this one before we starteddevouring politely nibbling our crustless sandwiches:

As you can see from the picture, Christian decided to make it a Champagne-Tea, and there were no protesters!
High Tea is quite a civilized affair. Even the menu was sophisticated, with its oenological descriptions of the teas: full-bodied, capricious and slightly flowery, with notes of oak...
We nevertheless ended up making quick work of the sandwiches--among which was the requisite cucumber and cream cheese--as well as the scones with clotted cream and a-do-ra-ble little jars of jam. By the time we got to dessert, our stomachs had caught up with our eyes, but we "forced" ourselves to finish (what I remember as being) the tartlets of strawberry and cream, the champagne-and-fruit red gelée, and the white chocolate mousse encased in thin bittersweet chocolate.
We ended the evening at the Phoenix Theatre for a very liverpudlian musical: Blood Brothers. Though a bit outdated, and heavy for a musical, the performance evoked laughter and taught us a bit of British slang. (E.g. "going to a do" = going to a party.)
As one is wont to do after a musical, I left humming the theme over and over again. I particularly enjoyed the opening number, Marilyn Monroe--the tune recurred throughout the show. (Yes, the actors spoke with that very accent!).
Back to the culprits which have kept me so busy: you'll have to stay tuned for #4, which will make an appearance next week. We are very excited! In the meantime, I'll be sifting through hundreds of trip photos and posting the highlights.
Unfortunately, with all the excitement, I have fallen significantly behind in my correspondence and blog-writing. I am working on reversing that trend, but October has been--and will continue to be--about ten times busier than September. That's a good thing, especially when I think back to the first lonely months in our apartment.
But being busier also means I need to make time for catching up with family and friends. To all those who have taken time out of their busy schedule to write or call or leave a comment, I am profoundly grateful. You helped fill a void during those first few months of transition, where everything and everyone was new and unfamiliar.
Naples is home now. (Yes, even on those days when some jerk cuts us off and we dream of moving back to a place where traffic patterns make sense). So now it's my turn to take the time to tell you that, despite--or because of!--the excitement here, I miss you and am thinking of you.
Who's the culprit behind my going from 0 to 60? For one, my wonderful new friends, who are constantly getting me out of my cocoon of an apartment and into cafes, pizzerias, markets, shops, parks, churches, museums, and little alleyways I didn't know about before.
Culprit #2 came into my life a few weeks ago: I have a job again! It took a few months of getting acclimated to my new surroundings, then wading through an incredibly paper-heavy application process, then waiting for the 2010-2011 school year to begin...but I am finally working in schools again. I decided to substitute teach so I could keep my schedule flexible for travel and visitors. I may expound in future posts, but for now I will just say that a substitute's job is never, ever boring!
Culprit #3 is travel: we've just returned from a 13-day whirlwind tour of the UK, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We had so much fun that upon our return, we felt we needed a vacation from touring around! Our hosts for much of the trip were dear Londoner friends Faye and Christian, without whose hospitality such a long holiday--as the Brits say--would not have been possible. (Remember those Flying Dinars? Pounds disappear even faster!)
The festivities started the very first day. I had planned a girly day, but by the end of it I think all members of the party were happy to partake. We started with a quick ride through the city and ended up in the cozy lobby of a chic London hotel. There Alan and I experienced our very first High Tea--a delight! Unfortunately, most of my pictures turned out blurry, but I managed to snap this one before we started
As you can see from the picture, Christian decided to make it a Champagne-Tea, and there were no protesters!
High Tea is quite a civilized affair. Even the menu was sophisticated, with its oenological descriptions of the teas: full-bodied, capricious and slightly flowery, with notes of oak...
We nevertheless ended up making quick work of the sandwiches--among which was the requisite cucumber and cream cheese--as well as the scones with clotted cream and a-do-ra-ble little jars of jam. By the time we got to dessert, our stomachs had caught up with our eyes, but we "forced" ourselves to finish (what I remember as being) the tartlets of strawberry and cream, the champagne-and-fruit red gelée, and the white chocolate mousse encased in thin bittersweet chocolate.
We ended the evening at the Phoenix Theatre for a very liverpudlian musical: Blood Brothers. Though a bit outdated, and heavy for a musical, the performance evoked laughter and taught us a bit of British slang. (E.g. "going to a do" = going to a party.)
As one is wont to do after a musical, I left humming the theme over and over again. I particularly enjoyed the opening number, Marilyn Monroe--the tune recurred throughout the show. (Yes, the actors spoke with that very accent!).
Back to the culprits which have kept me so busy: you'll have to stay tuned for #4, which will make an appearance next week. We are very excited! In the meantime, I'll be sifting through hundreds of trip photos and posting the highlights.
Reaaally ? :-)
ReplyDeletewhich 4st culprit ?! Don't tell me...you're...
I guess if what i'm thinking will realised probably Marraine had already called :)
Otherwise good idea to return for a time on your blog, i was almost everyweeks waiting for a new article ;)
I'm glad for your champagne tea-party, you seem have had a good time in UK.
Also congratulation for your job!
and if you want i can send it to you by mail the Grandma 90's birthday party pictures.
xxx
Take care!
Greeting to Alan
and see youuu