Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July Musings

Yesterday I was feeling a bit under the weather, so instead of catching the fireworks show at the park, we had a very quiet Fourth. To compensate, I spent much of the afternoon listening to patriotic songs on YouTube. From traditional marches to politicized folk songs to sappy country tunes, there is a lot of variety out there. But no matter the genre, songs written in honor of our great country always move me. I particularly enjoy the soul and gospel choir undertones in Ray Charles' version of America the Beautiful.



As much as I hate to admit it, I wasn't always passionate about Independence Day. As a kid, I was inordinately proud of my family's French roots. In my teenage years that pride turned into a sort of snootiness that took lots of time and world experiences to shed. I loved life in the States, but, in my opinion, there was little real "culture" there. In some ways--e.g. gastronomy and consumerism in general--it was lacking in finesse. For a while, I was convinced that I would eventually end up in Europe for good. In contrast to the States, it was a land where the people worked to live. It seemed no European was willing to sacrifice the simple pleasures of life for job-related stress.

After months of living abroad and myriad enriching experiences on home soil, I have changed my tune. While I am still very proud of my French heritage, I wholeheartedly embrace my US citizenship. It's an inextricable part of who I am.

I appreciate the unique culture America has to offer, much of which the rest of the world tries its darndest to imitate. I no longer take for granted the staggering amount of resources available in our country. I find Southern twangs charming triggers of nostalgia. In short, after carefully inspecting the color of the grass here, I confirm that it's no greener than the one in my parents' North Carolina backyard.

So, in honor of the country I am proud to call my homeland, here is this expat's top-10 list of what makes America great.

1. convenience and efficiency
2. polite queuing
3. home to the greatest University in the world
4. diversity; melting pot of cultures
5. Little League baseball and Tarheel basketball
6. free restrooms
7. openness and Southern hospitality
8. lots of space
9. PB&J, oatmeal raisin cookies, pumpkin pie
10.freedom!

That last one is a biggie, without which I'd have trouble filling out the rest of my list. Just as it took me some time away to fully appreciate my country, it took marrying a military man for me to really understand the "freedom isn't free" adage. Apart from some heart-wrenchingly long separations and exhausting work hours for Alan, we have been blessed with a relatively stress-free military life. Because I know the pain of deployments, I have all-the-more profound respect and gratitude for the sacrifices made by those at war. No matter your political stance, it is important to remember that life as you know it is made possible by brave young troops willing to risk everything for people they don't even know. When I think of the Marines in all their gear sweating it out in 140-degree heat, I know I have no reason to complain about our lack of A/C. And I feel downright guilty when I snap at hubby, when there are so many girlfriends and wives and family members missing and worrying about their loved one.

However you do it, make a point to remember where your freedom came from. Thank a service member, send a care package, or keep the troops in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you to all our American military heroes, past or present. I am especially grateful to those currently serving in the Middle East, and their families back home trying to live a normal life. And I am glad you guys haven't lost your sense of humor!



***
Even though fireworks and family were missing today, we still managed to celebrate with theme-appropriate food. (Shocker!)

Exhibit A, the hamburger chef:



Exhibit B, the burger and fixins--my own cole slaw and oven-baked fries: (not my best work, but it got eaten nonetheless!)



Exhibit C, well, speaks for itself:




[Quick Aside: The clip above may seem like an inside joke to any readers who haven't seen Pulp Fiction, but I couldn't resist. I am not necessarily endorsing the movie: its violence and foul language, while overexaggerated for effect and not intended to be taken at face value, still border on the offensive. I am, however, endorsing Samuel L. Jackson's brilliant comic performance, which totally makes the movie.]

I leave you with this little 80's gem of a country song. I did not know about it until I started dabbling in lists of top patriotic songs.



Yup, just one more reason to be proud of my country--my baby's American-made! ;)

Hope you had a wonderful Independence day, and know that YOU are a big part of why I miss America.

No comments:

Post a Comment