The second in a series of pregnancy-related posts.
A lot has changed since I wrote my first pregnancy post last week: I feel pregnant! Yes, the nausea has hit, but fortunately it's been relatively mild so far. I still get hungry (terribly so, at times) and food stays put in my stomach. But the "morning" in morning sickness is an absolute myth--my symptoms, while more annoying than harmful, tend to hang around all day. I just don't feel like myself. I'm sure it's all a good sign, but for the moment I'm still hard at work, which means I have to put on an "all-is-normal" face and cross my fingers that I won't have to ask students to use their facilities for anything more than a wee.
It's probably a good thing that I have enough stuff going on to distract me from my symptoms. It's also nice that lessons force me to get out and walk. When they wrap up in three weeks' time, I'll need to find the inner motivation to get some fresh air and stretch my legs. I was quite the couch-lover pre-pregnancy; now that I'm actually pregnant (and tired and hungry and bloated and feeling a bit sick), nothing looks better than the couch--except maybe my lounge pants.
Overall I've tried to take it easy on myself. I still haven't done any heavy exercise since finding out the good news, which means it's been a solid month since my last run. The consequences are making themselves known, too. I can no longer fit into at least one pair of jeans, and my heart rate absolutely skyrockets when I chase after an elusive bus. I'm sure I won't be able to handle too much more absolute laziness, but when I finally do coax myself into my running shorts, it'll be for a quick & easy jog.
I eat when I feel hungry, and I keep eating until I'm satiated. No restrictions here! I've had few cravings (surprisingly, the chocolate bars remain virtually intact in their cupboards) but last week I really wanted some eggs and yesterday it was a juicy burger and fries. I've started popping some lemon drops and Lifesavers to combat the nausea, but as I'm not usually big on candy, I feel guilty about the empty calories, and will probably look for something a little more natural (ginger maybe?).
Tiredness hits me at times--mainly when I have nothing going on and I can actually allow myself a nap--but it's still hard to distinguish it from the fatigue I feel from work.
Mum is still the word and I am bursting to tell our parents. Just three more weeks until our first major doctor's appointment, after which we plan to share the news. By that time I will be 9 weeks going on 10--by my calculations, at least. This business of counting weeks is a little confusing! Right now mid-January seems to be the most accurate due date we can come up with, but I'm looking forward to all the answers the first ultrasound will provide.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment