Monday, September 5, 2011

Cravings (written May 26)

The third in a series of pregnancy-related posts.


Last post I wrote about the onset of nausea. Right now it's a mild annoyance--it seems like I never quite feel like myself, but I can't say I'm really sick...especially when I'm experiencing all sorts of strange cravings.

Red meat seems to be a biggie. (I normally prefer chicken and fish). I had a tough time concentrating during church last Sunday because all I could think about was a big, juicy burger. Well, luckily the grill on base was open and I got my wish. Hands down, the best meal of the week, closely followed by Tuesday night's steak, fried potatoes, and fresh salad. Mmm, mmm, MMM!

Eggs and cheese are also high on my radar, which explains this week's double dose of spinach & tomato omelets. Alan is an expert omelet chef--mine always turn into glorified scrambled eggs--which makes omelet night even better. Except maybe for the fact that I've been relegated to line cook status.

Basically, anything meaty, salty, or oily really piques my interest. I'm usually a big fan of dry carbs (plain bread or pasta with a light sauce) but lately these things have a weird aftertaste. Fortunately, I've been able to stick to my old breakfast standard, Wheat Chex and grapefruit juice.

The most conspicuous no-show on my cravings list? Chocolate. I'm sure that's a good thing. I really don't miss it at all; on the contrary, just thinking about it makes my stomach turn.

Lest you think I've gone off the fast food deep end, I really am trying to include as many fruits and veggies as I can. Right now I am munching on a three-bean salad. Let me tell you, chickpeas, green beans, and kidney beans have never tasted so good! They are downright addictive. But while I normally really like the tangy bits of red onion that accompany them, the lingering aftertaste has been too pungent for me.

I think fatigue has finally kicked in--this morning I woke up with a burning desire to...go to bed. It's going to be a tough workday, but as I've mentioned before, my job gets me moving and it helps pass the time. I've also gotten light-headed if I stand up too quickly. And, since day one, I've been cramp-y. I think cramps must be pregnancy's forgotten symptom. I certainly never expected them! According to my nurse, though, mild ones are quite common--I guess it's a reflection of all the growing and stretching in my belly. They seem to really enjoy my right side, which has been cause for concern, but otherwise I'm feeling good and hoping that it's just all part of the process.

In the meantime, can somebody please tell me how I can get my hands on some of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment